DARVO: role reversal
A strategy common to all abusers is called DARVO.
Deny the abuse, Attack the victim, and Reverse the roles of the Victim and the Offender.
This is roughly how it can be done:
You are stupid.
Are you accusing me of being stupid!?
You are accusing me of making accusations!
…but what you said was rude and untrue.
More accusations! And you are calling me a rude liar!
Why did you call me ‘stupid’?
You are harassing me.
I want an explanation. Was it something
I told you to leave me alone! Stop harassing me!
At this point, the aggressor, the one who actually made assaults, may threaten his victim into submission or use the ‘silent treatment’ (also called ‘stonewalling’) until the victim gives up trying to hold the abuser accountable. He will characterize his victim as the offender and himself as the victim as he complains about the “harassment” he is being subjected to—without telling the whole story, of course. He may tell other people that the victim is menacing, irrational, or mentally unstable to start rumors that align with his self serving version of the issue, strengthening his credibility while damaging his victim’s. He may use deceptive tactics, such as pretending to be hurt or worried and fabricate damaging disinformation to manipulate other people to side with him and maximize the harm to his victim. If successful, the callous abuser gains sympathy and support while his victim, who has done no wrong, is disgraced and may face social rejection. The abuser escapes accountability and, lacking empathy and remorse, is gratified by “successfully” overpowering another individual. His victim gets blamed and shamed and may suffer immensely from long lasting—or irreversible—damage to his reputation, self esteem, and relations.
Do you recognize this scenario? Please click on ‘Leave a comment’ above, and share your story!
- DARVO (changingminds.org)
- Stonewalling or The Silent Treatment (SalemWitchHunt.wordpress.com)
- The Smear Campaign—Hallmark of the Sociopath (SalemWitchHunt.wordpress.com)
- Slander Tactics (SalemWitchHunt.wordpress.com)
- The 5 Senses of Abuse (larkkirkwood.wordpress.com)
- Narcissistic Personality Disorder (psychopathresistance.wordpress.com)
- Being Manipulated By A Pro … The Narcissist (nakiafleming.wordpress.com)
Reply Cancel reply
- Intelligent and well respected
- “You shall do as I WANT!!!”
- Disrespect for individuality, intolerance, and peer pressure to conform
- One method of problem solving.
- “Cluster B” Smear Campaigners
- Politics and Religion
- It’s not me…
- Secret abuse, public defamation
- The Silent Partner and the Silent Majority
- The Silent Bystander
- Witch burning with “like-minded”
- Gay Marriage
- Slander Tactics
- The toaster analogy
- The victim’s unheard plea
- Web Witch Hunts
- Do not question me.
- The joys of shared bigotry
- The bad exploit the good.
- THE SMEAR CAMPAIGN—Hallmark of a Sociopath
- Arrogance and intolerance
- Malicious slander
- Does it take two to tango?
- What is verbal abuse?
- Stonewalling, a.k.a. “the silent treatment”
- George Orwell: Doublethink
- DARVO: role reversal
- A mob is born
- Abusers rally support
- “The cat did it.”
- Character assassination
- Emotional bullying
- Social Aggression
- It’s fun!
- Criticizing a narcissist
- Burn the other cheek?
- They say…
- Is JAPICHV a type of witch burning?
- The psychopathic duo
- Group norms
- Conform or burn
- Why do people form mobs?
- 1,894 bonfires